Product managers are responsible for some of the most important work a business does — guiding the future of the product. … They lead the product team and oversee the entire lifecycle of a product, setting the strategic vision and defining the “why,” “what,” and “when” of what gets built.
- Location: Vancouver, BC
- Salary: $75,000YEAR annually for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Flexible Hours
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 1 vacancy
Product marketing managers are responsible for developing effective marketing strategies and plans to communicate the features and benefits of new products to customers.
They handle market research on current trending products, establish timescales for upcoming products, influence pricing and packaging, guide sales teams, develop messaging and market positioning around products and take part in presentations and events.
Frequently, product marketing managers are the ‘voice of the customer’ within their company, precisely researching consumer needs and experiences. They are mainly found in private sector companies but can be employed by any company that promotes and sells products.
The key skills typically required for a successful product marketing manager include:
- Collaborative skills: As a product marketing manager you will have to collaborate with multiple teams across the business. This will often include the sales and marketing department, the engineering department, product management, press and PR and senior executives.
- Communication skills: The ability to speak and write to a high standard is crucial. You will frequently have to present new products and write engaging copy, telling the ‘story’ of products, for various marketing channels.
- Research skills: A crucial part of being a product marketing manager is gaining insight into customer needs and experiences. Analysis of data, surveys and customer interviews will be part of this mix and you need to be well acquainted with these techniques.
- Competitive pay: Whilst there are no guarantees, great product marketing managers are in high demand and therefore can command high salaries.
- Career stability: Organisations need to market their products or services in a way that differentiates them from competitors. This makes product marketing managers highly valuable in many different types and sizes of organisations.
- Flexible working options: Product marketing managers due to frequently busy schedules, have the flexibility of working from preference.
- A varied role: A product marketing manager’s role encompasses elements of different roles and disciplines and is therefore one of the most varied roles available, which is ideal if you’re an all-rounder.
An undergraduate degree is usually preferable. Marketing or business studies would be the most beneficial and best subjects to study within. An HND qualification can often substitute, however. There are many in-career qualifications available that can be very useful. The Chartered Institute of Marketing and the Institute of Sales and Marketing Management are strong suggested qualifications.
Typically, employers will hire product marketing managers who have graduated from university. But most commonly at least two years worth of experience in developing marketing campaigns is specified. Sometimes, five years’ worth of experience is a requirement.
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
2 years to less than 3 years
How to apply
Intended job posting audience
Only persons who are legally allowed to work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, do not apply as the employer will not consider your job application.