The Personal Care Attendant provides non-medical care for patients in their homes. This includes both completing domestic duties, helping the patient with self-care and hygiene and filling the role of companion for the patients, who are typically elderly and live alone.
Personal Care Attendants work most often in patient homes, although they may also work in small group homes or larger care centers. As the baby-boomer generation reaches elderly ages, the market for Personal Care Attendants is growing rapidly. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it is expected to grow 26 percent over the next ten years, which is much faster than average.
- Location: Thunder Bay, ON
- Salary: $19.00 to $22.00HOUR hourly for 30 to 40 hours bi-weekly
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Evening, Weekend, On Call, Flexible Hours, To be determined, Early Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 2 vacancies
Personal Care Attendant Duties and Responsibilities
In order to provide support to patients based on personal experience, a Personal Care Attendant performs many different tasks. We analyzed job listings for Personal Care Attendants in order to identify these core duties and responsibilities.
The Personal Care Attendant prepares all meals for their patient according to any dietary needs and restrictions. This includes shopping for groceries regularly in order to keep the house stocked with necessities. They may also need to assist with feeding, depending on the condition of their patient.
In order to maintain the patient household, the Personal Care Attendant completes housekeeping tasks that range from light to heavy depending on the job. They are at minimum responsible for doing laundry, dishes and cleaning any messes, but often must also sweep, mop, vacuum, sanitize the bathroom and kitchen, clean counters, change the linens and any other necessary housekeeping tasks.
The Personal Care Attendant runs occasional errands for their patient as well. This typically involves shopping either for groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies, or other necessities required to maintain the household. It may also include more individualized tasks such as mailing things out for the patient, buying specialized goods the patient needs, or facilitating appointments and meetings for the patient.
Assist with Personal Care
Personal Care Attendants help their patients care for themselves as well. This typically involves bathing the patient, brushing their hair, helping them use the bathroom, assisting them with getting dressed and other typical hygiene and personal care services.
Personal Care Attendant Skills
Personal Care Attendants have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Compassionate individuals, they are able to connect with their patients and provide them with a companion in addition to someone who takes care of their home. In order to succeed, Personal Care Attendants must also be highly organized and capable of managing many different tasks at once.
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
or equivalent experience
Experience an asset
- Specific Skills
- Shop for food and household supplies; Provide personal care; Provide companionship; Perform light housekeeping and cleaning duties; Launder clothing and household linens; Administer bedside and personal care; Feed or assist in feeding; Change non-sterile dressings; Assist in regular exercise, e.g., walk; Assist clients with bathing and other aspects of personal hygiene
- Target Audience
- Adults; Persons with physical disabilities; Females
- Work Site Environment
- Transportation/Travel Information
- Own transportation; Own vehicle; Valid driver’s licence
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Repetitive tasks; Physically demanding; Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Work Location Information
- Work in employer’s/client’s home; Urban area
- Personal Suitability
- Effective interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Excellent oral communication; Client focus; Dependability; Reliability; Organized; Punctuality
How to apply
807-345-4046 Between 10:00 AM and 10:00 PM
Here is what you must include when submitting your application:
- Cover letter
- References attesting experience
Intended job posting audience
Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application.