Butchers cut, trim, and package meat for retail sale.
Butchers typically do the following:
- Sharpen and adjust knives and cutting equipment
- Receive, inspect, and store meat upon delivery
- Cut, debone, or grind pieces of meat
- Weigh, wrap, and display meat or meat products
- Cut or prepare meats to specification or customers’ orders
- Store meats in refrigerators or freezers at the required temperature
- Clean equipment and work areas to maintain health and sanitation standards
Butchers cut and trim meat from larger, wholesale portions into steaks, chops, roasts, and other cuts. They then prepare meat for sale by performing various duties, such as weighing meat, wrapping it, and putting it out for display. In retail stores, they also wait on customers and prepare special cuts of meat upon request.
Butchers in meat-processing plants are also known as meatcutters. They may have a more limited range of duties than those working in a grocery store or specialty meat shop. Because they typically work on an assembly line, those in processing plants usually perform one specific function—a single type of cut—during their shift.
Butchers use knives, grinders, or meat saws. They follow sanitation standards while working and when cleaning equipment, countertops, and working areas in order to prevent meat contamination.
Butchers who run their own retail store also track inventory, order supplies, and perform other recordkeeping duties.
- Location: Canning, NS
- Salary:$16.00 to $18.00HOUR hourly for 30 to 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Weekend, Morning
- Start date :Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies 1 vacancy
Registered Apprenticeship certificate
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
Meat Cutter Trade Certification
5 years or more
- Specific Skills
- Slice cooked meats; Shape, lace and tie roasts, other meats, poultry and seafood; Remove bones from meat; Prepare special displays of meats, poultry and fish products; Prepare special orders; Make special sausages; Grind meats; Cut fish into steaks and fillets; Cut poultry into parts; Cut, trim and prepare standard cuts of meat; Clean and prepare fish and shellfish
- Equipment and Machinery Experience
- Slicing machine; Sausage machine; Salami mixer and cooker; Manual cutting utensil; Band saw
- Additional Skills
- Wrap and package prepared meats; Weigh meats for sale; Sell meats to customers; Price meat products; Clean meats to prepare for processing or cutting
- Work Setting
- Butcher shop
- Work Site Environment
- Odours; Cold/refrigerated
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Work under pressure; Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Attention to detail; Hand-eye co-ordination; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Standing for extended periods; Tight deadlines
- Personal Suitability
- Initiative; Effective interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Accurate; Team player; Excellent oral communication; Excellent written communication; Client focus; Dependability; Organized
How to apply
9820 Main Street, PO Box 517
B0P 1H0 Between 10:00 AM and 01:00 PM
Intended job posting audience
Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application.