Bricklayers are skilled craftsmen responsible for constructing brickwork by laying bricks using the correct mortar mixture. They are knowledgeable in the different types of bricks available and how to construct or repair walls in accordance with industry standards.
- Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
- Salary: $36.00HOUR hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Weekend, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 4 vacancies
Bricklayer Duties and Responsibilities
- Read blueprints or drawings to calculate materials needed
- Mix mortar or grout and spread it onto a slab or foundation
- Lay bricks, blocks, or stones according to plans
- Construct corners with a corner pole or by building a corner pyramid
- Ensure that a structure is perfectly vertical and horizontal, using a plumb bob and level
- Clean and polish surfaces with hand or power tools
- Clean excess mortar with trowels and other hand tools
- Fill expansion joints with the appropriate caulking materials
- Lay out patterns or foundations using a straightedge
- Break or cut bricks, stones, or blocks to their appropriate size
Bricklayer Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
- High school diploma or Senior Secondary certificate.
- Industry experience on a construction site.
- Knowledge of materials, methods and the tools involved in bricklaying and the construction of buildings.
- Problem-solving ability.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Physically fit and able to stand for long periods.
- Ability to lift heavy objects.
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
or equivalent experience
2 years to less than 3 years
- Specific Skills
- Prepare and lay bricks, concrete blocks, structural tiles or other masonry units; Lay bricks, stone or similar materials to provide veneer facing; Construct and install prefabricated masonry units; Build patios, garden walls and other decorative installations; Read sketches and blueprints to calculate materials required; Cut and trim bricks and concrete blocks to specification using hand and power tools; Lay bricks or other masonry units to build residential or commercial chimneys and fireplaces; Lay radial bricks to build masonry shells of industrial chimneys; Lay or install firebricks to line industrial chimneys and smokestacks
- Major Work Area
- Renovation; Repair; Construction
- Additional Skills
- Work at heights, on scaffolding or swing stages; Supervise other workers; Prepare tenders and quotations; Instruct apprentices; Estimate materials, labour, tools and equipment
- Work Setting
- Residential; Commercial
- Own Tools/Equipment
- Steel-toed safety boots
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Handling heavy loads; Physically demanding; Standing for extended periods; Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Personal Suitability
- Effective interpersonal skills; Accurate; Team player; Excellent oral communication; Excellent written communication; Client focus; Reliability
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada
How to apply